Every once in a generation comes to a person or a handful of people who not only question the rationale of science but change it radically and leave the world in awe. Passion for excelling, compassion to make the world a united place and fervour to not let go even when the odds are stacked against you is what defines our most coveted event TEDxSIBMBengaluru, an independently organised event licensed by TED. It was held on February 18, 2017, at Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Electronic City, Phase-1, Bengaluru, India.
The theme of the event was ‘Beyond Imagination’. The theme aimed to portray the sentiment that there is no limit to the creative ideas that can be generated. The theme also intended to debunk the myth that the world is running out of ideas. Stalwarts from various fields spoke about their area of expertise.
The speakers were:
1. Balaji Vishvanathan- The Founder and CEO of Be Limtless Inc and Zingfin.com. Balaji has written more than 3,480 answers and has 251.9k followers on Quora as of January 15, 2017.
2. Deepak Solanki- He has worked with start-ups and is also the founder and CEO of Velmenni. He created several commercial products which include Traffic Light Down-Counters and Vehicle Tracking System.
3. Eshaan Noorani- He is a musician, guitarist and an entertainer. Ehsaan Noorani was a co-judge in India's first English singing show called The Stage produced by Viacom and aired on Colours Infinity.
4. Major General Gagandeep Bakshi- A retired Indian Army Officer. He was awarded the Vishisht Seva Medal for commanding a battalion in operations in Kargil.
5. Mr Kapil Shelke- The entrepreneur and CEO of Tork Motorcycles, he has developed one of the most innovative electric vehicle in the market which can run above 100KM on a single charge.
6. Mr Bindeshwar Pathak- The founder of Sulabh International, he has received 70 different awards including the Padma Bhushan, the Humanitarian award of NY global leaders dialogue and much more.
7. Pandit Milind Tulankar- The Jaltarang artist, he was influenced by his grandfather. His art has been appreciated in many concerts and has received many awards for the same.
8. Mr Saurav Ghoshal- A professional squash player with a world ranking of 15. He has also received the Arjuna Award in 2007.
9. Mr Prakash Belaadi- He is actor, filmmaker, activist, journalist and entertainer and is the co-founder of Centre for Film and Drama and launched the Suchitra School of Cinema and Dramatic Arts.
10. Ms Sunaina Pamudurthy- She, is an avid traveller and a fierce supporter of children rights. She is a social activist and a MAD Activist.
11. Mr Samit Choksi- He is a social entrepreneur and the Co-founder of Thinkphi. Prior to this he has co-founded and worked at various start-ups in India and Silicon Valley as a software architect and developer.
12. Mr Sameer Dhanrajani- A Global Business Leader at Cognizant Technology Solutions who pioneered the Customer Risk & Operations Analytics framework (CRO) at Cognizant Analytics.
The event was open to the public and had a limited audience seating of 100. It was a full-day event that commenced from 10 AM till 6 PM.
About TEDx, x = Independently Organised Event:
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TED Talks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organised TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized. (Subject to certain rules and regulations)
TED is a nonprofit organisation devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading, usually in the form of short, powerful talks (18 minutes or fewer) delivered by today's leading thinkers and doers. Many of these talks are given at TED's annual conference in Vancouver, British Columbia, and made available, free, on TED.com. TED speakers have included Bill Gates, Jane Goodall, Elizabeth Gilbert, Sir Richard Branson, Monica Lewinsky, Philippe Starck, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Sal Khan and Daniel Kahneman.
TED's open and free initiatives for spreading ideas include TED.com, where new TED Talk videos are posted daily; the Open Translation Project, which provides subtitles and interactive transcripts as well as translations from thousands of volunteers worldwide; the educational initiative TED-Ed; the annual million-dollar TED Prize, which funds exceptional individuals with a "wish," or idea, to create change in the world; TEDx, which provides licenses to thousands of individuals and groups who host local, self-organized TED-style events around the world; and the TED Fellows program, which selects innovators from around the globe to amplify the impact of their remarkable projects and activities.
Source: PR Team, SIBM Bengaluru