Do you know everything about BCA courses in India? Find out the eligibility, admission process, fee structure and specialisations for entry to BCA colleges in India!
What is BCA?
Bachelor of Computer Applications (BCA) is an undergraduate academic course in the field of computer applications. For those who want to pursue a successful and rewarding career in the fields of computers and information technology, BCA comes out as a potent course option. Aspirants study various aspects of computer science, apart from developing sound knowledge and understanding of the latest advancements specific to this field. By delivering theoretical and practical knowledge, BCA course prepares students to interact with real life situations and build systems.
Owing to the unprecedented growth in the field of information and technology, demand for candidates with BCA degree has risen considerably. Employers from various high profile industries constantly search for professionals who have the right set of skills and attitude to excel. Accordingly, BCA has become one of the most lucrative career options for students after 10+2.
Those who want to know about the BCA course in detail, information provided in the following paragraphs could be of great help.
BCA Eligibility Criteria
Students who have cleared higher secondary examination or equivalent from recognized state or central boards of education with minimum 50% aggregate marks can apply for BCA. Though general minimum pass percentage required for BCA is 50%, some top colleges have increased it to 60%.
Some colleges and universities allow only those students who have passed higher secondary examination with physics, chemistry and mathematics, while others accept students who have mathematics as one of their subjects in higher secondary.
Candidates having three years diploma from state board of technical education can also apply for the admission in BCA course. Students belonging to reserved categories get 5% marks concession in the minimum eligibility criteria. The minimum age limit for admission in BCA remains 17 years, while the maximum age varies from 22 to 25 years.
BCA Admission Process
Admission process for BCA varies from college to college and university to university. Most of the institutes grant admission under BCA programme based on marks candidates have obtained in the higher secondary examination. While top ranking colleges require students to qualify their entrance test, some colleges and universities also conduct the PI round before admitting students to BCA course.
For BCA, there is no specific common entrance test/exam held on the state or central level. Instead, some educational institutes have their own pattern of test and specific requirements that candidates need to fulfil to secure seats.
College Specific Exam Tests:
- Symbiosis Entrance Test (SET): Symbiosis Institute of Computer Studies and Research in Maharashtra offers three years full time BCA course. Candidates need to go through a selection procedure that includes Symbiosis Entrance Test (SET), Group Exercise and Personal Interaction.
- Common Entrance Test (Punjab University): Candidates who want to secure BCA seats in Punjab University should necessarily have passed 10+2 with physics, chemistry and maths. Admission in BCA course is strictly based on merit in Common Entrance Test (CET) that includes questions from physics, chemistry and maths.
- Banaras Hindu University (BHU) Entrance Test: BHU conducts entrance test for admission in BCA in June and July every year. The minimum qualification remains 12th or equivalent from a recognized board with 50% marks in aggregate and admission depends more on performance in the written test.
- BCA Entrance Test IGNOU: BCA course from IGNOU offers open opportunity to students who want to take Computers and IT as a career option. Students who have cleared 10+2 are eligible to apply for this course. However, admission depends on performance in qualifying exam and written test.
- GGSIPU Common Entrance Test: Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University (GGSIPU) conducts Combined Entrance Test (CET) for admissions into BCA course. There are 150 questions in all, 600 marks in total and test lasts for 2.5 hours. Answers have to be marked on the OMR sheet and there is negative marking for wrong answers.
Duration, Delivery Type & Fee Structure
Full Time BCA
2 to 5 lakhs
3 years (six semesters)
45,000 to 1 lakh
3 to 4 years (six semesters)
Online / E-Learning BCA
40k to 70k
3 to 4 years (six semesters)
Specialization, Syllabus and Job Prospects
For better understanding of some prominent types of BCA courses and specializations that can attract the attention of students, consider reading the following information:
BCA (Multimedia and Animation)
BCA course in Multimedia and Animation aims to teach various concepts and principles of multimedia. This course focuses more on areas related to digital art, web designing, 2D and 3D animation.
- Syllabus: BCA Multimedia and Animation intends to hone the skills of aspirants in Cinematography, Graphic Designing, Digital Filmmaking and Media Management. Other than developing creativity and conceptualizing ability, aspirants master the art of Video Editing, Game Designing, Visual Effects, Digital Multimedia and Animation Techniques.
- Job prospects: As domains of animation and multimedia have wide applications, BCA degree holders with specialization in multimedia and animation can have various positions including Graphic Designer, Cinematographer, Video Editor, Visual Effects and Game Designer, 2D/3D Animator, Multimedia Manager, Multimedia Artist and Animator.
BCA (Database Systems)
With computerization, organisations like banks, financial service and many more have accumulated enormous data that needs database management system for proper management. Therefore, the course of database system management is designed to help students master the principles, techniques, tools and various features of designing, programming, administration and security of database.
- Syllabus: During BCA in Database system, students learn the basics of Database, Database Systems, Components of Database Management System, DBMS, Three level architecture proposals for DBMS and MAPPING. Students also come to know the fundamentals of Data Models, Relational Model, Relational Database Design, Database Operation and Maintenance.
- Job prospects: Students with Bachelor’s degree in Database Management System get job options aplenty. It opens many vacancies of Database Administrators, Database Designers and Data Analysts to name a few.
BCA (Data Analytics)
One of the lucrative career choices, BCA Data Analytics requires considerable expertise, knowledge and skill from extremely diverse fields that include IT, Marketing, Statistics, Economics, Finance, HR, Domain Knowledge and a set of software tools.
- Syllabus: While pursuing this course, students get familiar with popular tools and software that include Hadoop, Mapreduce, Basic Data Querying, Hive, Pig, Neo4j, MongoDB, Casandra, Python and HBase together with statistical packages like Advanced Excel, R and SAS.
- Job prospects: Every organization in public and private sector needs Data Analytics Officers at entry/mid/senior level based on the skill set, qualification, analytic competencies and experience. Some organizations even require ‘Chief Analytics Officers’ to manage a team of data analytics.
BCA (Information Security and Cloud Technology)
BCA in Information Security and Cloud Technology focuses on all practical and theoretical aspects concerning computers, forensic security technologies, preventive and ethical hacking other than virtualization, cryptography and cloud security.
- Syllabus: Aspirants study Information Security Fundamentals, Software Engineering, RDBMS, Computer Networks, Operating Systems and Information Security Management. Other than these, Fundamentals of Ethical Hacking, Cryptography and Data centres together with Virtualization and Cloud Security, IT Governance, Linux Administration, Principles of Virtualization and Fundamentals of IT Infrastructure Library also remain some of the core areas of this field.
- Job prospects: Candidates having specialization in this field get multiple job opportunities. In cloud technology, they are fit for jobs that include Cloud Engineer, Cloud Architect, Remote Desktop Engineer, Data Centre Technician and Cloud Security Specialist. In information security, they get various job profiles including Malware Analyst, Executive Information Security, Junior Penetration Tester, Database Manager – IT Security and Junior Cyber Forensic Analyst.
BCA (Cloud Technology & Mobile Applications)
During specialization in Cloud Technology and Mobile Application, BCA students master the theoretical and practical aspects of Virtualization Technologies, Data Centres, Cloud Technologies, Networking, Networking and Operating Systems.
- Syllabus: BCA aspirants study Basics of Cloud Technology, Fundamentals of Datacentre, Principles of Virtualization, Fundamentals of IT infrastructure, Linux Administration in Cloud Technology. Whereas in Mobile Applications, aspirants study subjects like Basic Android, Mobile Device and Network Architecture, Mobile Ecosystem and Business Model, Advanced Android, Web Technology and many more.
- Job Prospects: BCA Cloud Technology and Mobile Application paves the way for various jobs in IT Industry. Job opportunities in this field include Cloud Engineer, Cloud Architect, Cloud Security Specialist and App Developer.
Is BCA for me?
BCA course tests the knowledge, ability to innovate and other traits of students, right from day one. The list of skills mentioned below is indispensable to those who want to succeed as IT professionals after BCA course.
- Logical Reasoning
- Analytical Ability
- Sound Mathematics
- Ability to Innovate
- Problem solving
- Decision Making