If you’re aiming to pursue careers related to Geography in India, this article will help you gain clarity on the opportunities and scope of geography in India!
Career in Geography in India opens many new doors in terms of career opportunities. Geography is one field which enhances your knowledge about different countries, helps you chart out maps, location of forests, rivers etc. You also get to learn about the people that inhabit the region, its climatic conditions along with the influence of lifestyle and economy on that region etc.
Geography graduates tend to be fairly open-minded and interested in the world around them. While the perception is that one goes straight from a geography degree to teaching in a school or college, however, those who specialise in geography now have new fields to conquer. Some of the popular ones include research in climate studies, medical epidemiology etc. Geography is becoming a more promising career option than it was before.
There are a number of geography courses which can be pursued after 10+2, graduation and post-graduation.
Degree Courses in Geography are:
- Bachelor of Arts in Geography (BA Geography)
- Bachelor of Arts Honours in Geography (BA-Hons. Geography)
- Bachelor of Arts Honours and Master of Arts in Geography (BA Hons + MA Geography)
- Master of Arts in Disaster Management (MA Disaster)
- Master of Arts in Geo-Informatics (MA Geo Informatics)
- Master of Arts in Geography (MA Geography)
- Master of Arts in Geology (MA Geology)
- Master of Philosophy in Geography (M. Phil Geography)
- Master of Philosophy in Political Geography (M. Phil Political Geography)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Geography (Ph. D Geography)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Political Geography (Ph. D Political Geography)
Diploma Courses in Geography:
- Advanced Diploma in Computer Assisted Cartography
- Advanced Diploma in Remote Sensing and GIS Applications
Career in Geography after 10+2:
A candidate can go for under graduate programmes in geography offered at various universities across the country.
The student must have passed 10+2 with social sciences including geography as one of the main subjects.
Career in Geography after Graduation:
There are a broad range of careers open to a geography graduate. A candidate with a geography degree will have numerous options from working in the war room of a royal navy vessel to working with an environment agency, running housing schemes, or working almost anywhere in the public sector.
And if the candidates opt for further qualifications or training, he/she could also teach geography, do urban designs or town planning, or become a chartered surveyor.
Some other career options after geography include:
- Climate Change Analyst
- Emergency Management Specialist
- Geospatial analyst
- GIS specialist
- Location analyst
- Pollution Analyst
- Remote Sensing Analyst
- Soil Conservationist
- Town planner
- Water conservation officer
Top Geography Institutes in India:
- University of Delhi (DU)
- Institute of Geo-Informatics and Remote Sensing
- Aligarh Muslim University
- Banaras Hindu University