As per the popular perception, a degree in marketing brings to you a plethora of career opportunities where knowledge, creativity, and excellence are acknowledged. Your career opportunities in marketing may range from market research, advertising and public relations, and product management to retailing and everything else that require marketing acumen.
Career opportunities in Marketing - As generally perceived, a marketing degree is your ticket to go places. The knowledge and skill sets acquired during the degree set the trajectory for understanding the market trends, devising achievable action plans, and diversifying income sources. Therefore, it is a no-brainer that every business, irrespective of its niche or size, relies on creative and driven marketing professionals to remain progressive and realise business goals. The high remunerations and engaging rewards that the employers offer testify their desperation to build a vibrant talent pool, which can tide over the odds and deliver favourable outcomes. Given the diverse career opportunities in marketing, career seekers in India and beyond are vying for a marketing degree from one of the colleges.
Core Competencies of the Marketing Professional:
Prior to offering information about career opportunities in marketing, we take the pain to elaborate the core competencies that a marketing professional needs to deal with.
- Market Research: No denying the fact that getting to the pulse of the market and its trends is imperative for any organisation’s growth prospects. Therefore, a marketing professional’s one prime area of activity is conducting market research studies, analysing them, and suggesting appropriate changes.
- Devise and implement advertising campaigns: That successful advertising campaigns culminate in increased revenue is no secret. As a marketing professional, you have to create and implement advertising campaigns across media and keep growth prospects lively for the organisation you represent.
- Market specific strategies: Promoting your product or service will be high on your agenda as a marketing professional, which is accomplishable with market and product specific strategies that create the right impact on the right audience.
- Negotiate contracts: A significant amount of your office time will be consumed by negotiations regarding marketing contracts. Apparently, every marketing professional needs to be a willing and able negotiator.
- Meet Deadlines: In the intensely competitive business scenario, meeting deadlines, expectations, and specifications is the key to success.
- Miscellany: Going through creative elements and layouts, arranging and distributing budget for marketing campaigns, overseeing staff, and coordination between different departments may be a part of your routine.
Career Opportunities in Marketing
Career opportunities in marketing are extensive enough to take you in many different directions, depending on your specialisation, aspirations, and career objectives. Let us get specific about what you can do with your marketing degree.
Advertising & Public Relations:
Advertising & Public Relations is integral to career opportunities in marketing. As an Advertising & Public Relations manager, your job is cut out, which is to create and sustain a positive public image. To this end, you need to come up with advertising campaigns that keep existing buyers intact and entice the new ones into investing in your brand. It is your discretion that how the advertisement looks and where it appears – on national TV, local TV, radio, or print media. As Advertising & Public Relations manager, working with media directors, sales and design teams is a part of your core competency. Additionally, you have to keep track of trade shows and marketing events where you can display your products and services only to reach out to a broader client base. Creativity, intimacy with dynamic market trends, and a clear vision are few key attributes essential for success in Advertising & Public Relations.
Market research is all about knowing the factors driving purchase decisions. Given the competitive edge it offers, businesses are trending towards market research and the scope is widening by each passing day. Your preference for the said field is justified by handsome remunerations that you more likely end up with. As a market research professional, your primary task will be to get the pulse of the target consumer base, quantify your finding, and help analyse them with your sense of reasoning and knowledge of current market trends. Intimacy with research tools like mystery shopping, marketing surveys, and focus groups will help you deliver desirable outcomes. Seemingly, Market research can be one of the career opportunities in marketing provided you have the analytical acumen and the willingness to apply yourself.
One of the sought-after career opportunities in marketing is promotion management. Herein, you need to handle your organisation’s promotional endeavours by creating and implementing result oriented marketing plans. Your focus will remain on increasing ROI via all conceivable marketing options – be it online advertising, endorsements, displays, and trade shows or sweepstakes and contests. Though the responsibilities are outright overwhelming, your fat paycheck will make up for the ordeal.
Sales are integral to the very existence of an organisation. After all, the idea of increasing sales is central to every organisation, irrespective of its area of operations or size. Here, sales managers have a role to play. Being at the helm of affairs of the sales department, sales managers play a crucial role in directing sales force towards achieving business objectives. They analyse the brand’s strength and weaknesses and set sales targets accordingly. Enforcing profit projections and striving to achieve the same is also an integral part of their job responsibility. Tenacity, fine interpersonal skills, guaranteed to deliver approach, leadership quality, and team spirit are the defining traits of a good sales manager.
It is no secret that a brand is a tangible asset for an organisation. An outcome of sustained effort, a brand reflects an organisation’s customer service, reliability, and goodwill among buyers, marketing strategy, and logo. Your responsibility as a Brand Manager is to devise and institute brand assets for your company, along with its products and services.
Word to the Wise:
Beyond the aforementioned descriptions, a marketing degree alone cannot help realise your career objectives. A synergy of sustained effort to learn, unlearn, and relearn, along with personal attributes like focus, reliability, efficiency, and ability to go beyond the norm is also a requisite for making the most of the career opportunities in marketing.