A proposal has been drafted by some of the top colleges under DU to seek a deemed status. Read further to know the details.
As per reports, some of the prestigious colleges of Delhi University's North Campus, including Hindu, Ramjas, St. Stephen's and SRCC, are planning to seek the status of deemed university. The proposal is still at the basic stage but if granted, the status will help these colleges frame their own rules and formulate their own fees structure.
A senior university official said that certain colleges like Hindu, Ramjas, Stephen's, SRCC and those run by the Delhi Sikh Gurudwara Management Committee wish to seek the status of a deemed university. He also said that the HRD ministry has also developed a few norms for providing more autonomy to colleges. However, a deemed status will give them complete freedom to operate on their own.
He added that the matter was discussed in the governing body meeting of Hindu College. Proposals at a later stage will be drafted for colleges to seek the deemed status for which they will be required to obtain 'A' grade in NAAC accreditation for three consecutive times.
If this comes clear, the colleges will not have to follow the DU rules anymore and there will be no need to seek sanctions from the University for any Future Decisions.
However, the students’ union might oppose this move since studying in these colleges might become expensive, as the institutions will be free to decide their fee structure like private universities.
The following are the 13 deemed universities in Delhi:
- Indian Agricultural Research Institute
- Indian Institute of Foreign Trade
- Indian Law Institute
- Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences
- Jamia Hamdard
- National Institute of Fashion Technology
- National Museum Institute of History of Art, Conservation and Museology
- National School of Drama, Bahawalpur House
- National University of Educational Planning & Administration
- Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthana
- School of Planning & Architecture
- Shri Lal Bahadur Shastri Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeetha
- Teri School of Advanced Studies