Careers in airlines open numerous options. Depending upon your interests, you can become a pilot, air hostess, ticketing managers or look for jobs in cargo management, aircraft maintenance or other related areas!
“To most people the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is their home.”- Anonymous
Careers in Aviation in India have gained great momentum with numerous Indian and international airlines foraying into the country. A host of job profiles have come up for both experienced as well as fresh job seekers. Jobs are available in the private as well as public sector. Depending on the level, the salary packages also meet the industry standards. Those interested in a career in aviation can look for varied jobs depending on their interest and skills. In fact, it is the right time to look for job openings in this field, as the industry is witnessing a transformation like never before - thanks to the entry of new private and low-cost carriers.
An aspirant can become a pilot, air hostess, ticketing manager, customer care official or he/she can look for jobs in the administration, traffic regulation, cargo management, ground operations, aircraft maintenance & other areas related to this field. Those in ticketing need to plan the entire journey of clients, right from finalising the itinerary to booking the tickets.
Also, as more and more companies are venturing into this field, customer satisfaction has become the only differentiator. There is a need to have well-trained customer care executives, who can take proper care of the needs of passengers. Aspirants can seek jobs and establish a career in this domain. Hence, there are a large number of opportunities to explore at the ground staff level as well!
Eligibility Criteria for various Careers in Aviation Industry in India:
Air Hostess/Flight Steward, Flight Purser:
- A candidate must have passed 10+2 or must be a graduate in any discipline with a diploma or degree in Hotel Management or Tourism Management.
- The candidate must be eligible to hold an Indian Passport and should be below 25 years of age with proportionate height and weight.
- The aspirant must be unmarried, with normal eyesight of 6/6 increased vision in each eye.
- Also, the candidate must have fluency in Hindi, English and knowledge of other language is an added advantage.
Pilot/Aircraft Maintenance Engineer/Helicopter Pilots:
The pilots must have passed 10+2 with Physics and Mathematics and must be between the age of 18-30 years, with proportionate height and weight and clear eyesight.
Aviation Careers in India/Aviation Jobs in India:
- Commercial Pilot
- Air Traffic Controller
- Air Hostess/Flight Steward
- Helicopter Pilot
- Flight Instructor
- Flight Engineer
- Flight Despatchers
- Factor Facilitators
- Aviation Psychologists
- Aviation Doctors
- Ground Duty Agent
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Aviation Institutes in India:
- Chandigarh University, Chandigarh
- University of Mumbai, Mumbai
- SJES College of Management Studies, Bangalore
- Institute of Logistics and Aviation Management, Bangalore and Mumbai
- Nehru College of Aeronautics and Applied Sciences (NCAAS), Coimbatore
- Asia Pacific Institute of Management, Ahmedabad
There are n number of colleges including private and government colleges offering aviation and related courses.
Many institutes which offer aviation courses also have placement cells. Recruitments are conducted through campus placements. Also, one can apply to major airlines in India like Indigo, Spice Jet Airways, Deccan Aviation, Alliance Air, Air Sahara, Air India etc. With new airline companies coming up frequently, the number of job opportunities in the aviation industry is projected to rise as the nature of the jobs are specialised and there are few skilled practitioners.
Along with these, there are a number of international airlines also where you can apply like Emirates, Qatar Airways, Singapore Airlines etc.