Mohit Goel of Thinkcell Learning Solutions Pvt. Ltd. specifies some changes in GATE 2017
GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) is a prestigious all India examination administered and conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) and seven of the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) on behalf of the National Coordination Board - GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) and the Government of India.
GATE primarily tests the technical knowledge of students in various undergraduate subjects of engineering.
An admission to postgraduate programmes with government scholarships/assistantships in engineering colleges/institutes/universities is open to those who qualify through this test.
A stipend of Rs 12400/- is given to the GATE qualifiers by MHRD, GOI for pursuing Master’s programs and direct Doctoral programs in Engineering/Technology/Architecture, and Doctoral programs in relevant branches of Science in Institutes supported by the Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD) or other Government agencies.
Apart from admissions to M.Tech/ME/MS courses, GATE is also the qualifying test for many PSUs like BHEL, NTPC, IOCL etc.
Check All – GATE 2017 Official Answer Keys
Important: Use GATE Score Predictor to predict your GATE 2017 Score and shortlist colleges based on your predicted scores.
About GATE 2017?
- GATE 2017 is being conducted by IIT Roorkee
- GATE 2017 examination to held for international candidates in Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Nepal, Singapore, Sri Lanka and United Arab Emirates (U.A.E)
- The XE paper now has a new section with this the number of sections in the XE paper has increased to eight
- There is no change in the fees; 750 for female and SC/ST/PwD students and 1500 for all other candidates
- The test will be conducted online for all the 23 streams
- No scientific calculators will be allowed for the exam. Instead a virtual scientific calculator will be available for the students on the exam interface itself
- GATE Score is valid for 3 Years
- GATE exam is to be conducted on 4th, 5th, 11th and 12th February 2017
- The GATE online application system will open on 1st September and the last date for submission for the online application is 4th October 2016.
Implications for Aspirants
- As the student is not permitted to carry a scientific calculator to the exam center the student will have to get used to virtual scientific calculators not having enough practice may consume more time while in Examination center.
- With the exam going online, a lot of practice would be needed to familiarize with a computer based test. A peculiar problem that can arise in GATE, where some questions might need workings to be done on a complicated figure/diagram (in case of a paper based test the same can be done on the question paper itself) , is that of replicating the diagram. Students might need to practice on that.
- With the test having numerical answer questions, wherein one has to enter an answer, instead of choosing between four options, guesswork is eliminated and hence one cannot bet on luck or a solution based on elimination of wrong options.
Eligibility Criteria for GATE 2017
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology (4 years after 10+2 or 3 years after Diploma in Engineering/ Technology) and those who are in the final year of such programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture (Five years course) and those who are in the final year such programs. o Bachelor’s degree of Four-year program in Science (B.S.) and those who are in the final year of such program.
- Master’s degree in any branch of Science/Mathematics/Statistics/Computer Applications or equivalent and those who are in the final year of such programs.
- Four-year integrated Master’s degree (Post-B.Sc.) in Engineering/Technology and those in the second or higher year of such program.
- Five-year integrated Master’s degree or Dual Degree in Engineering/Technology and those in the fourth or higher year of such program.
- Five-year integrated M.Sc. or Five year integrated B.Sc. /M.Sc. degree and those in the final year of such programs.
- Candidates with qualifications obtained through examinations conducted by professional societies recognized by UPSC/AICTE as equivalent to B.E./B.Tech. Those who have completed section A of AMIE or equivalent of such professional courses are also eligible.
- GATE candidates from Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Nepal, Singapore, Sri Lanka and UAE should have completed Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Master’s degree in Science in a relevant subject or are in the final year of the program.
For more details visit - http://gate.iitr.ernet.in/
About the Author:
Mohit is the CEO & MD of Thinkcell Learning Solutions Pvt. Ltd. (formerly Gateforum Educational Services Pvt. Ltd.) Prior to this, he was the MD of YUKTI, a leading company and brand in Maharashtra in the Engineering testprep domain offering classroom courses for JEE, MHTCET and 12th Board exams.
Mohit has received his Post-Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM) from IIM, Ahmedabad (1996). He also holds a B.Tech (Bachelor of Technology) degree from IIT, Bombay (1994).
Mohit has 15+ years experience in the field of education, in designing, co-ordinating, marketing and executing classroom based training programs.