MBA aspirants can check the IIM admission criteria 2018 and more details here.
IIM Selection Procedure – CAT selection procedure is important to be understood by the candidates who are going to appear for common admission test 2017. IIMs are the most prestigious management institutes in the country and a large number of students aspire to pursue MBA from IIM. There are 20 IIMs which accept the scores of CAT. The selection process of IIM is a tough process. First will itself be the written test. Apart from the scores of entrance test, there are several other factors which are considered by IIM for the admission.
All the IIMs will announce their individual cut-off list on the basis of exam result. After that, shortlisted candidates will be called for writing ability test and personal interview rounds. Also, Group discussion may be conducted by some of the IIMs. Other participating institutes will conduct the CAT selection procedure separately. CAT 2017 application process has been started from July, 29.
IIM Selection Procedure 2018
The selection procedure of IIM is a very rigorous process. A lot of preparation is needed for the selection process. There is tough competition as every year more than 2 lakh candidates appear for CAT exam. Around 4000 seats are offered by IIMs. There are many factors which are taken into consideration by IIMs.
Candidate’s performance in the exam plays a vital role. Candidates will have to meet the cut-off declared by institutes. Once the candidate gets shortlisted on the basis of the test, he/she will have to appear for writing ability test (WAT) and personal interview (PI) rounds. On the basis of overall performance in the entire selection procedure, final merit list will be prepared. While CAT scores are important, IIMs consider numerous other factors for selecting the deserving candidates. Following are the factors:
- Past academic record of the candidates
- Working experience
IIM Selection Procedure 2018: Verification of Eligibility
All the candidates must fulfill the eligibility criteria of CAT. If any candidate fails to meet the eligibility norms, he/she will be disqualified from the selection process. Candidates can check the eligibility criteria below:
- Candidates must have done the graduation with at least 50% marks.
- Candidates must produce all the relevant mark sheets and certificates needed at the time of document verification.
- Final year students of graduation can also apply for the CAT exam
- Final year students will be given provisional admission. They have to submit a certificate from the Principal or Registrar of the University, which states that the candidates have fulfilled all the requirements for obtaining the graduate degree.
- Once the result will be declared, they must submit the self-attested copy of all the required certificates otherwise the provisional admission will be canceled.
Certificates required for reserved category candidates
Reserved category candidates are provided admission as per the reservation norms set by the government. Percentage of seats is fixed for the reserved category:
- Scheduled Tribe (ST) – 7.5 %
- Other Backward Classes – Non-Creamy – 27%
- Scheduled Caste (SC) – 15%
- Person with Disability (PWD) – 3%
All the candidates belonging to reserved category must bring cast certificate and it’s attested photocopy for the submission. It must be government approved or else candidates will be disqualified. Also, the other required documents must be submitted at the time of joining the course.
CAT Selection procedures: Non-IIM B-Schools
Apart from IIMs, there are around 100 B-schools which provide admission on the basis of CAT score. These institutes conduct the separate selection procedure. Some of the institutes accepting CAT scores are:
- Management Development Institute (MDI)
- SP Jain Institute of Management & Research (Mumbai)
- Xavier Institute of Social Service (Jharkhand)
- Institute for Financial Management & Research (Tamil Nadu)
- Gujarat National Law University, (Gandhinagar)
- National Institute of Technology, Durgapur (West Bengal)
- University of Delhi(Dept. of Commerce, Financial Studies & Business Economics)
- T.A. Pai Management Institute (Manipal)
- Institute of Management Technology (Ghaziabad)
- Indian Institute of Forest Management (Bhopal)
- National Institute of Agriculture Extension Management (Hyderabad)
Selection procedures of Non- IIMs include following rounds:
- Group discussion
- Personal interview
- Writing ability test
- Some of the institutes conduct group activity instead of group discussion.
IIM Selection Procedure 2018: Important Aspects
- Old IIMs will conduct the separate selection procedure for CAT 2017
- New IIMs conduct common admission procedure which is commonly known as CAP
- After the completion of CAT selection procedure, all the IIMs publish separate Institute wise merit list.
- Individual admission criteria of institutes also matters
- Last year IIM Sirmaur, IIM Jammu, and IIM Nagpur published their merit list based on CAT percentile and profile and did not conduct GD/WAT-PI rounds.
According to CAT important dates CAT 2017 will be conducted on November 26 and the result of CAT will be out in the second week of January, 2018. After the declaration of result, all the participating IIMs and other participating B-schools will publish their cut-off lists. Selection procedure of IIMs will begin in February.
Keep visiting this page for latest updates on IIMs selection procedure 2018. In the case of any doubt or query regarding CAT selection procedure, comment below.