The institute offers B.Tech programme in various disciplines such as Physical Sciences, Avionics and Aerospace Engineering
Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST), Thiruvananthapuram has announced admission to its 4-year B.Tech Degree Programmes for the academic year 2013-14.
Admission to the undergraduate programmes for the year 2013 will be based on the All India Rank List. The Rank List for admission to IIST will be based on 60% weightage of score in the Joint Entrance Examination JEE (Main)-2013 conducted by Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) and 40% of normalised score in Class 12th or other qualifying examinations. Additional eligibility criteria for IIST B.Tech admissions will be announced at a later date.
The institute discontinued its separate admission test, ISAT (Indian Institute of Science and Technology Admission Test), from 2013 following MHRD’s decision that universities should use JEE (MAIN) (erstwhile AIEEE) as the entrance examination for admission into under graduate engineering programmes.
IIST currently offers B.Tech programmes in Aerospace Engineering, Avionics and Physical Sciences.
1. B.Tech (AEROSPACE ENGINEERING): is a 4-year under-graduate degree programme oriented towards the needs of space technology, and has significant overlap with Mechanical Engineering, including Mechanical Design and Manufacturing Sciences, and Space Dynamics. This is similar to programmes of the same title available in many reputed Institutions in India and abroad.
2. B.Tech (AVIONICS): is a 4-year under-graduate degree programme comprising of subjects of study in Electronics and Communications Engineering programmes, in addition to study of Advanced Electronics in Digital Communication, Control Systems and Computer Systems used in Aerospace Systems.
3. B.Tech (PHYSICAL SCIENCES): is a 4-year under-graduate degree programme oriented towards application of basic sciences in Space Science and Technology. The programme lays a strong foundation in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics, and gives exposure to important applications of space technology such as Remote Sensing and GIS, Astronomy and Astrophysics, and Earth System Sciences.
The total number of seats for the undergraduate programmes in IIST is 156. The branch-wise distribution of seats is as follows:
- B.Tech in Aerospace Engineering: 60 seats
- B.Tech in Avionics: 60 seats
- B.Tech in Physical Sciences: 36 seats
Reservation of Seats
Candidates belonging to certain categories are admitted to seats reserved based on relaxed criteria, as per applicable rules of the Government of India. Categories included are:
- Scheduled Castes (SC).
- Scheduled Tribes (ST).
- Other Backward Castes (OBC) belonging to Non-Creamy Layer (NCL).
- Physically Disabled (PD).
Source: Official website of IIST