UGC introduces a scholarship for single girl child planning to pursue non-professional post-graduate courses 2012-14.
“You educate a man; you educate a man. You educate a woman; you educate a generation.”
Keeping this in mind and in order to achieve and promote education for the girl child, the University Grants Commission (UGC) has introduced the “Post Graduate Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child” with an aim to compensate direct costs of girl education to all levels especially for girls who happen to be the only girl child in their family.
The objective of this scholarship is to support post graduate education of single girl child in non-professional courses only (girl students pursuing MBA/ M.Tech/ professional courses are not eligible).
Eligibility Criteria for Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child
i) Any single girl child of her parents is eligible. In a family if there is one son and one daughter then the girl child will not be eligible for this scholarship.
ii) The scheme is applicable to a single girl child who has taken admission in a regular, full-time 1st year Masters degree course in any recognized Indian university covered under Section 2(f) and 12(B) of UGC Act. or a post graduate college.
iii) This scholarship is available to PG 1st year students only (i.e students of academic year 2012-14)
iv) Admission to PG courses in distance education mode is not covered under this scheme.
v) Girl students up to the age of 30 years at the time of admission in PG courses are eligible.
Assistance available under Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child
- The number of slots for scholarships may be decided every year on the basis of eligible applications, correct in all respects, received by the UGC in stipulated time frame.
- It is expected from the institutions where the student has taken admission in the first year PG course, that no tuition fees will be charged by the institute from girl students to pursue PG degree course in Universities/Colleges/Institutions covered under Sections 2(f) and 12(B) of UGC Act.
- The value of this cholarship is Rs.2000/- per month for a period of two years only (10 months in the year) i.e. full duration of a PG course.
- No other additional grant will be payable in lieu of hostel charges and medical charges etc.
Apply Online for Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child:
You can only apply ONLINE for this scholarship. Click here to register online and apply for the Post-Graduate Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child.
1. The candidate is required to submit an application in prescribed format online.
2. An affidavit on Rs. 50/ Stamp paper, from the student/parent duly attested by SDM/First Class Magistrate/Gazatted Officer download prescribe format form from here scan it and convert in .pdf format and upload it under the "Personal Information" tab of online application.
3. A Joining report from College/University where student have taken admission to 1st year PG course download prescribe format form from here scan it and convert in .pdf format and upload it under the "Qualification Information" tab of online application.
Submitting the affidavit form: First you have to download the prescribed form regarding Affidavit format for SGC from here and Affidavit format for institute joining report from here and then scan & upload the copy of affidavit forms under the "Personal Information" "Qualification Information" tab of online application.
Last date of registration for the Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child: 3rd October, 2012