Jamia Millia Islamia conducted an International Workshop ‘Inclusive Cities’ on December 19 and 20, 2016 at Mir-Taqi-Mir Building
An international workshop on Inclusive Cities was held on December 19, 2016, and December 20, 2016, at Jamia Millia Islamia, Central University, New Delhi. Prf. Sheila Mitra Sarkar from San Diego State University, California, USA & Ar. Kulsum Fatima from Department of Architecture, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi, India will be co-chairing the international workshop.
The workshop was a multi-disciplinary and open-ended platform to bring in ideas and innovations from urban thought leaders & researchers. It intended to bring together international and national experts to share their work in making cities inclusive. The participants from India, US, Netherlands, London, United Kingdom, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Egypt & Austria did “walk the talk” for inclusive cities.
"Inclusive Cities" analysed the current scenario, where cities across the world are suffering from economic downturns, climate changes, population migration from a war zone, water & energy shortages, problems with affordable housing, education, food security, access and safety to all and other conflicts around the world while empowering the under-served.
The workshop was entitled as ‘Inclusive Cities’ and focused on the co-existence of variable interlinked aspects composing the structure of a city. There were lectures by renowned speakers from around the globe, experts and scholars of different fields and discussion sessions of utmost value. In addition, there was a fish bowl event for the involvement of speakers in a generalised talk over floating topics. Road Safety Audit was also a part of this composure as it topped the segments of Inclusive cities. The schedule also included breakout sessions during the event.
The key speakers of the event were
- Dr. Sylvia Nagl - University college of London, United Nations (UNITAR UNOSAT).
- Jan Nederveen – Strategic Advisor Space City of Delft, Netherlands.
- Prof. Kotaro Nakamura – Director, School of Art Design, San Diego State University, USA.
- Asa Vagland – Ministry of enterprise and innovation, Ministry of enterprise, Energy and communications, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Dr. Sudhir Krishna – Former Secretary Urban Development, Govt. of India, Chairman of BIS.
- Prof. Rommel Mehta – Dept. of Landscape Architecture, SPA Delhi.
Source: Chetanya Mehra, HTCampus Specialist