University of Mumbai has jumped from 68th spot last year to 58 this year in QS-BRICS university rankings.
University of Mumbai (MU) has secured 58th position in the list of top 100 universities in the recently released QS-BRICS university rankings.
This is a major boost for the Mumbai University (MU) as it ranked 68 last year in the same list.
The highest-ranking institution from India is the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore which bagged the fifth spot. The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay stood at the 16th position.
The QS World University Rankings is an annual listing, which is generated by different methodologies. It is one of the most accepted university measures across the world. The parameters basis which the universities are ranked include, research, teaching, employability and international outlook to assess universities’ performance.
Apart from the global overall rankings, there are three regional lists, including one for the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa), the major emerging economies of the world.
MU, which has nearly 740 affiliated colleges, scored 61.5 out of 100 for academic reputation and 93.8 for employer reputation.
“We have achieved this feat because of continued and sustained efforts of our teachers and students in research and development. MU is committed to use its scientific excellence for societal development,” said Sanjay Deshmukh, the new vice chancellor, while reacting to MU’s rise in the ranks.
Also, MU stands third among traditional universities in the country; University of Delhi ranks 46, while University of Calcutta is 52nd.
The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi is the second highest ranking Indian institution at number 13. A total of 15 Indian universities have been featured in the list of top 100.
Chinese universities including, Tsinghua University, Peking University and Fudan University, have topped the list.
University of Mumbai: QS-BRICS rankings
- 2015 - 58
- 2014 - 68
- 2013 - 62
- QS- World University rankings (2014-15) - 551
- QS- Asian Universities rankings (2014-15) - 125
Indian institutes/universities in top 100 ranks:
- Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore - 5
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi - 13
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay - 16
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur - 18
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Madras - 20
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur - 24
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Roorkee - 43
- University of Delhi (DU) - 46
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Guwahati - 50
- University of Calcutta - 52
- University of Mumbai - 58
- University of Madras - 78
- Banaras Hindu University (BHU) - 93
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS), Pilani - 95
- Manipal University (Manipal Academy of Higher Education) - 97