XAT 2018 aspirants can follow these XAT preparation tips 2018 to obtain a high percentile and score in the exam. Effective preparation tips and tricks to crack XAT exam 2018 have been listed here on this page.
XAT Preparation Tips 2018 – Xavier aptitude test is considered as a gatekeeper to the best MBA colleges in India. Along with CAT, GMAC & MAT, XAT is one of the major entrance exams. XAT 2018 will be held on January 7. Cracking XAT is not much tedious job but still, candidates writing this exam must put in a lot of hard work. As it is said – ‘Success is the result of preparation, hard work and determination.’ XAT preparation tips 2018 will provide the students a way to prepare for XAT. Before starting your preparations you must be aware of the fact that XAT 2018 will be conducted in online mode.
Apart from the mode of exam, there are no such changes has been made by XLRI, the conducting body of XAT. Exam Patten of XAT 2018 will remain same. It, however, differs from other management entrance examinations as candidates are also expected to write an essay on a given topic besides the usual objective type questions. The essay is considered only for admission to XLRI, Jamshedpur. The exam will be divided into two parts i.e. paper 1 and paper 2. The first paper will have multiple choice questions and the second part will contain subjective kind of question. Duration of XAT 2018 will be 3 hours and 30 minutes. In this article, we are giving some useful XAT preparation tips so that you don’t have to lose your mind over XAT exam 2018.
XAT Preparation Tips 2018
XAT 2018 preparation tips will prove to be valuable for the candidates preparing for Xavier Aptitude Test. Sometimes candidates become blank when they start preparing for the exam. They don’t get any point to start from. So it is important to have a proper plan so that you can crack this exam with flying colors.
For XAT aspirants, it is important to know all the topics of XAT 2018. It will help them in formulating the strategy for the exam. It will be divided into 2 parts – Paper 1 & Paper 2. You have to attempt both the parts. Paper 1 will include three sections- Verbal & Logical ability, Decision Making, Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation.
No. of Questions
Verbal and Logical Ability
Quantitative Ability (QA) and Data Interpretation (DI)
XAT Paper 2 will be comprised of two sections- General Knowledge and Essay Writing. GK section will have 25 sections and in the other section i.e. essay writing, students will be given any topic to write about.
Now, when you know the exam pattern, XAT 2018 preparation strategy can be formed very easily. As the questions will be asked section wise, we suggest you do section wise XAT 2018 preparation.
XAT Preparation Tips 2018 – Verbal and Logical Ability
Candidates will be evaluated as per their English language skills. The question will be asked from analogies, sentence correction, reading comprehension, critical reasoning, passages etc. Here we are providing you some tips to crack this section:
- Reading – Candidates must build up reading habit if they don’t read much. They can read newspapers, magazines, editorial etc. Reading will make you familiar with the different type of sentence formations and improve your writing skills also.
- Vocabulary – Reading can also be helpful in improving your vocabulary. Along with that, the internet is the boon for your preparation. There are various online applications for enhancing you vocabulary such as online dictionary, U-dictionary, vocabulary builder etc. Learn new words daily. You can also play some games in order to build up your vocabulary. Try to communicate with people using those words and also you should practice putting up those new words in your writing.
- Grammar – This is important section. Many questions will be asked from this section such as identification and correction of grammatical errors. Candidates should learn the basic grammar rules. They can solve online grammar tests. Practice papers and grammar books are available in the market in order to improve your grammar.
XAT Preparation Tips 2018: Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation
In this section, questions will be based on geometry, number system, functions, P&C, probability & Data Interpretation. This section will test the numerical ability of candidates. Here we are providing you some tips to prepare for this section:
- Clear your basic concepts – It is really important to start with the basic. Candidates should learn the fundamentals of this section and then apply them by solving practice papers and mock tests. Start with simple questions and then move ahead to the tough part. Try to solve as many sample and practice mock test as you can because practice makes you perfect.
- Learn shortcuts – This section is very time consuming as there are questions based on hectic calculation. Hence you will not be able to complete the test. So, spending too much time on calculation will be stupidity. Try to learn some shortcuts so that you can increase your speed and can attempt more question in lesser time.
- Practice – As we have already mentioned that for XAT 2018 preparation, practice is really important. It will increase your speed and will make you familiar with the type of question that will be asked in XAT 2018. Solve sample papers and mock test to get familiarity with this section.
XAT Preparation Tips 2018 – Decision Making
This section consist of various business and day to day situations and candidates have to answer that what could be the most appropriate solution for that situation. The question will be based on ethical dilemmas, financial issues, general management scenarios etc. Here are the tips for the preparation of Decision-making section of XAT 2018 –
- Solve previous year papers – Solving XAT question papers of previous years will make you understand this section properly. It will increase your knowledge and all your doubts will get clear regarding this section. Try to practice the different type of questions. It will develop your problem-solving skills which will be very helpful for cracking this section.
- Develop a logical approach - It is important because you must use logical interpretation while solving any problem. You should focus and pay all your attention to the problem so that you can find an appropriate solution.
- Types of questions in XAT decision making – You should classify the type of questions asked in XAT 2018 decision-making section. Broadly, these can be classified as single question passage and multiple question passage. As it will be difficult to solve entire questions in this section, we would suggest you attempt all the single questions. These questions are often easy and straightforward. Another way to classify the questions will be – pure logic, financial issues, managerial issues and ethical dilemmas. In these classifications, pure logic and financial issues will be less time taking and should attempt first. Chances of making a mistake are also very low in comparison to other questions. When it comes to solving ethical dilemmas and managerial issues, questions seem to very easy but can make you confuse and hence can consume a lot of time.
XAT Preparation Tips 2018 – Essay Writing
Candidates will b e given a topic to write on and they will have to complete in 20 minutes. The word limit for this essay will be 200 words. This section observes your social and ethical values. Some candidates may find difficulty in this section. You can check some XAT preparation tips for essay writing sections below:
Candidates must develop the main idea of the given topic. They have to understand the topic properly and hence collect specific facts, events and quotations related to the topic.
- Candidates must write daily on various topics in order to boost their writing skills.
- Read newspapers and magazines
- Try to provide a suitable structure to the essay. The essay should start with an introduction and have a body and proper ending with a conclusion.
- Support your essay with facts and figures.
- Use right vocabulary in order to leave a good impression on examiner. The correct use of words will make your essay more impressive.
XAT Preparation Tips 2018 – General Knowledge
In this section, question from a broad variety of topics will be asked such as current affairs, history, business, politics, economics, tagline and current heads of major companies, authors etc. Here the tips to crack XAT 2018 general knowledge sections are given:
- Stay Updated – You should be aware of all the current happenings in the entire world. You should daily read newspapers, online news portals. You can also install news application in your mobile phones which will help you in stay updated. Read current affairs related to sports, politics, education, business etc.
- Keep a track of latest events – You can note down the information at one place so that it will easy for you to memorize and revise that information at the time of XAT 2018. Read blogs and articles based on general awareness. Try to follow general knowledge threads online.
XAT Preparation Tips 2018 – General Tips
- Identify your weaknesses & strengths – While doing XAT 2018 Preparation, you should identify your weak and strong areas. After discovering, try to turn your weaknesses into strengths and enhance your strengths even further. It will help you in completing your syllabus in managed form.
- Make a Strategy – Formulating a strategy and study plan is significant for XAT 2018 preparation. Make a plan which can be followed practically and avoid non-practical plans. Try to cover difficult topics as much as you can and save proper time for revising the topics.
- Section Wise Preparation – Devote your time to all the sections. Don’t waste your time in practicing only one section. Each section is equally important. Make plan in such a way so that you can concentrate on every section
- Practice – Practice is the key to success. Solve as many as mock tests and sample papers as you can. It will increase your accuracy. Do a steady practice on a timely basis and don’t overdo it. Solving mock test and sample papers will increase your speed and will make you familiar with the exam pattern of XAT 2018.
- Get familiar with the mouse – As XAT 2018 has turned into an online based test, you should start solving all mock tests on computer. If you will not be comfortable with the system, you will become nervous at the time of XAT exam 2018.
- Manage your time – Managing your time in XAT exam is essential. Don’t spend excess time on a particular time. Equally, distribute your time for each section. As this exam is very lengthy, you must keep the time limit in your mind and try to attempt the easier part first and save the remaining time for difficult portion of the questions paper. It will also save your time and help you in scoring good marks in XAT 2018.
- Brush up your fundamentals – Candidates should clear all the fundamentals and apply it tactically. Be clear with the basics of your topics. Learn all the formulae and use them strategically. Try to learn shortcuts for solving the lengthy calculation.
- Stay healthy – Staying healthy is of utmost importance. In order to prepare for XAT exam, candidates start ignoring their health and diet. They don’t sleep properly and hence end up with negative impacts on their health. So, have a good diet and sleep and maintain your health, don’t neglect your health.
- Stay Calm – This is an obvious advice but still, students take a lot of stress and mess up their mind. They get nervous and start facing anxiety and depression issues. Have confidence in yourself and prepare with a cool mind. Nervousness will spoil your preparation which will again push you toward depression.
Books to prepare for XAT 2018
Searching for books to prepare for XAT 2018 can be a tough task, So don’t waste your time in searching for books because we are providing the names of some books and their authors for XAT 2018 preparation:
- Quantitative aptitude Quantum XAT by Sarvesh K Verma
- Verbal ability for XAT by Ajay Singh
- Verbal ability and reading comprehension by Arun Sharma and Meenakshi Upadhyaya
- General Knowledge by Manohar Panday
- The Accredited guide to problem-solving and the data sufficiency: A must have resource for aspirants for XAT by Ananta Ashisha
- The hand on guide to analytical reasoning and logical reasoning: A must have resource for the aspirants of XAT by Peeyush Bhardwaj
- Quantitative aptitude for XAT by Arun Sharma
- Data Interpretation by Arun Sharma
- Target new XAT – Past papers and five mock papers
- XAT entrance test for MBA examination by Gautam Puri
- XAT Xavier Aptitude Test solved sample papers by Gautam Puri
- Target XAT Simplified by Disha Experts
- Jabbing the XAT with solved papers by R.K. Jha
- XAT XLRI – MBA Entrance exam A/4 by Chandresh Agarwal
- Concepts of number for XAT and other quantitative exams by Gajendra Kumar
Keep visiting this page for latest updates on XAT preparation tips 2018. In the case of any query or doubt regarding the preparation tips of AT 2018, comment below.