What are home science courses?
The science of a home is what fundamentally home science courses are all about. The core of the subject matter is the family ecosystem and the education system aimed at teaching and professing ‘better living.’ These courses involve the study of a diversified range of sciences and humanities that are integrated and applied in order to better human environment, management of resources, family nutrition and child development.
It’s a fallacy if people are under the impression that home science courses revolve around laundry, cooking, stitching or home decoration. In fact, home science has sprouted out of misconceptions and unlocked doors to an assortment of avenues in all possible fields of life. Off late, the popularity of these courses has risen owing to its wide application in various industries such as clothing and textiles, food preservation and training and interior design among others.
Moreover, increasing concern for nutrition/health and changing lifestyle have made home science emerge from the shadows and brought it to the limelight. This changing outlook has attracted a considerable number of students to pursue this subject and turn it into a successful career. Read on to learn more about home science courses in India.
At UnderGraduate Level
As a home science graduate, you can easily serve the following:
· Apparel merchandising houses
Also, pass outs of undergraduate home science courses can serve as:
· Welfare organizations
· Service sector
At Post Graduate Level
Pass outs of postgraduate home science courses can take up any of the following job roles:
· Designer or merchandiser in the textile industry
· Nutritionist and dietitian in hospitals and health care clinics, as well as the food sector
· Human development and social worker
· Food scientist/researcher
· Entrepreneur in the field of food, textiles, baking or confectionery
· Food Consultant
· Food quality analyst
· Interior designer
· Microbiologist or biochemist in medical laboratories and related industries
Those who have completed Masters-level home science courses can also serve the following:
· Institutional catering businesses – Involves providing nutritious food to schools, factories, colleges, clubs, etc.
· Production industry – Involves garment making, textile design, dress manufacturer, fashion design, etc.
· Tourism and service industry
· In the food and beverage segment of the hotel industry
In the food product development sector with food manufacturing units
Do you have what it takes to pursue home science courses?
You need to either have the following attributes before enrolling into or be ready to acquire the same while pursuing undergraduate and postgraduate home science courses:
· Scientific and logical bent of mind
· Aesthetic sense
· Good communication skills well
· Organize things in an orderly fashion
· Practical and realistic approach
· Awareness about surrounding,
· Diet and health conscious