What is Diploma in Taxation?
Diploma in Taxation is a short-term diploma course that is usually offered at the undergraduate level. However, a few institutions may also offer this specialised course in taxation at the postgraduate level. Most of the institutions providing this programme, conduct this course for the duration of one year, which may go shorter or longer based on the institution’s offerings and the course coverage. The course is offered both in full-time and part-time modes of study.
While the Diploma in Taxation course is not widely available, it is a value-adding programme for those who want to excel in the domain of taxation and related laws applicable to citizens and businesses. The course is also not very expensive. In most institutions, the course fee may fall below INR 1 lakh. Students pursuing this programme gain a detailed understanding of taxation or tax rules and regulations, as well as the technical and conceptual issues with taxes. They receive training in several procedural and practical aspects of taxation.
Availability of Diploma Courses in Taxation
While there are not a large number of institutions providing the Diploma in Taxation course at the undergraduate or postgraduate level, a few institutions offer value-adding courses in this area. Following are some such institutions listed for you:
- Institute for Excellence in Higher Education, Bhopal
- New Arts, Commerce and Science College, Maharashtra
- Saga Institute of Management Studies, Kerala
- Arihant Group of Institutes, Pune
- Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar
- All India Institute of Public and Physical Health Sciences, New Delhi
- Saint Muktabai Arts and Commerce College, Maharashtra
- Siddharth Law College, Gandhinagar
- Silver Jubilee Degree College, Hyderabad
- Smt. Kesharbai Lahoti Mahavidyalaya, Maharashtra
- Swami Vivekanand University, Madhya Pradesh
- Yeshwant Mahavidyalaya, Maharashtra
In most of these institutions, the diploma course in taxation is of the duration of one year.
Skills Required to Pursue Diploma Courses in Taxation
Whether students want to pursue the undergraduate-level Diploma in Taxation or postgraduate diploma course in taxation, they need to possess a few essential abilities and skills to optimise their learning and practice during and after the course. Here are some of the skills that are critical for students of taxation to succeed in this domain:
- Strong ability to think and analyse
- Innovative mind
- Good oral and written communication
- Basic knowledge of taxation and business operations
- Good with numbers
- Ability to work in a team
- Problem-solving skills
- Proficient in Excel and MS Office Suite
- Passionate about the field of taxation
- Strong work ethics
Diploma in Accounting Career and Job Prospects
After completing the diploma course in taxation, students can turn into professionals who can handle a variety of individual and business tax issues. They can take up several job roles, such as an accountant, management trainee, finance executive, taxation consultant, taxation advisor, investment analyst, taxation executive, and taxation specialist. However, students of Diploma in Taxation course can raise their career prospects if they pursue higher education in the field of taxation. Students can go for B.Com and M.Com programmes in taxation. They can further do courses like CA to become chartered accountants.
While the demand for taxation specialists is in all industries and companies, professionals can benefit more by working with banking institutions, taxation departments, and finance and tax advisory firms. They can also offer their own consulting services in the domain of taxation. They can provide tax advisory services as income tax advisors or business tax advisors. As the job prospects are unlimited, students who pursue higher education in taxation can grab high paying, managerial-level jobs in the fields of taxation, audit, finance, accounting, or banking.