What do they do?
As a magician you will have to work really hard to make it big in the professional world. You will have to practice each of your trick various times so that you don’t go wrong in front of the audience. You and other actors have to work strongly as a team. In order to engage the audience you have to prepare a script and portray a role. You might have to perform humour too. You will have to direct the crewmembers responsible for lighting, costumes, makeup and props.
Typical day in the life of a Magician
There is no ‘scheduled time table’ for magic. “We practice a trick until we reach a certain level of perfection. Then, we practice the same at intervals found suitable. We think about new ideas while doing our daily routine work. So, we are into magic all the time,” says Professor Shankar from Gili Gili Magic.
Pros & Cons about this career
- Enormous self-satisfaction You will get name, fame and money, provided you are good at your work
- You need capital for shows and equipment You will get to travel a lot You might have to struggle a lot to make it big
Skills and Education needed
- Positive thinking
- Patience to practice hard
- Self belief
- You should have a good presence of mind and be prepared for all types of reactions from the audience
- Ability to present even a simple thing in a most effective manner
How do I get there?
Knowledge is the key to success so try to acquire more knowledge about the profession. There are many categories of magic like — close up magic, conjuring, sleight of hands, stage illusion, optical illusions, mentalism magic, fusion magic, etc. You should have knowledge of all these categories before launching yourself as a magician. It is always good to get training from an established magician.