Simply put, Digital Marketing is the use of internet for advertisements & publicity. Web banner ads, Video campaigns, Mobile apps, Informative blog posts are all variations of Digital Marketing. Marketing is never constant. It is changing and changing fast. And to keep up with this, new tactics, new tools and channels are emerging. With the world businesses going online, the career scope of digital marketing is at an all-time high. Digital Marketing is making its mark in the world of Marketing & Advertising with features like cost-effectiveness, instant response, flexibility, convenience, effectiveness at its helm. Start-ups and Entrepreneurship is the in-thing now and more and more of them are realizing the importance of digital marketing, so much so that even before their products & services hit the market, they are investing heavily on digital marketing to increase their brand value.
Digital Marketing covers everything from social media to search engine optimization (SEO) and search engine marketing (SEM). This is a huge task and for brands that have more than one product, it can be quite overwhelming. This is where a Digital Marketing Manager steps in. A Digital Marketing Manager’s job is to develop a marketing strategy, manage ad campaigns, and track KPI’s of his/ her team and the product or service.
What do they do?
A Digital Marketing Manager manages the digital (or online) elements of the marketing mix, integrates with offline (print, PR etc), also gets involved in strategic side of things like setting KPI’s. A digital marketing manager works with other departments (sales, customer services, HR etc) to ensure the implementation of the marketing plan is coordinated, aligned, and consistent and that it meets business objectives.
They also create, develop and/or implement the short and long term strategy and campaigns to increase leads or revenue from the internet. They also manage a team of specialists (PPC, SEO etc) to help carry out the tactical approaches.
- Blend of hands-on technical knowledge and management experience
- Understand KPI's & conversions
- Social Media marketing
- Email marketing
- Web Analytics
- Working knoweledge of sales, logistics, stock control, customer service, and IT
- Ability to develop digital strategy at a high level, while also being able to execute on a project level
- Analytical bent of mind with data
How do I get there?
- Bachelor's degree in Marketing
- Master's degree in Digital Marketing
- Diploma in Digital Marketing or Marketing Communications
- Experience managing PPC, SEO and Affiliate programmes.
- Experience in ecommerce, SEO, PPC, Email marketing, and social media
- Previous experience in a similar digital marketing role
- Executive Programme in Digital Marketing (EPDM)
- MSc in Digital Marketing (following a diploma or certificate)
- IAMAI ( Internet and Mobile Association of India)-approved programmes
Typical day in the life of a Digital Marketing Manager
No two days are the same in the life of a Digital Marketing Manager. While one day (s)he may be involved in developing, planning, and executing the digital strategy for the business, while on another day, (s)he manage both the digital marketing and ecommerce operations of the business including managing all channels including SEO, SEM, social media marketing, email marketing, display advertising and display retargeting.
At other times, (s)he can be neck deep involved analysing web analytics data and interpreting reports for the rest of the business or discuss optimisation strategies to make sure the conversion rate is always being tested and is progressively growing.
(S)he may also spend their office day building a testing culture throughout the whole business. Some amount of research work is also involved and a Digital Marketing Manager may also find herself/ himself education and updating the rest of the company about new trends in the digital sphere.
Pros & Cons about this career
<p> Energetic & Ananlytical Evokes thinking & Strategizing Ideas Execution</p>