A master of ceremonies (MC or emcee), or compère, is the official host of a staged event or performance. An MC usually is a performer who keeps the audience entertained at all times and keeps the event going. The MC sometimes also acts as the protocol officer during an official state function. An MC can be a music artist who usually creates and performs vocals for his/her own original material (not to be confused with a DJ who plays party music and mixes music). Basically, an emcee is the life of the show. Since destination weddings have become a big business these days, the demand for emcees has been increasing.
What do they do?
As an MC your task will be to introduce performers or speakers. At some occasions you may have to interrupt tactfully to stop a guest who takes a lot of time to speak. You will have to prepare for an event ahead of time. You will have to meet with organisers to learn about the overall event. You will have to prepare a speech in order to entertain the guests present at the event and may also have to conduct games and quizzes to engage the audience.
- No stage fright
- Excellent oratory
- Fun loving and an entertaining person
- You should be outgoing and gregarious person with good communication skills
- Spontaneous thinking is a must for an emcee to remain on stage for a long time
- You should have good networking skills to survive
- You should be a good team player to work in coordination with a co-host
- You should be a hard-worker, efficient with time management
- Being warm and subtle helps you break the ice with the audience
- Words like shy and introvert don’t go with the work of an emcee
How do I get there?
Take part in drama competitions and debates in school and college. Such competitions are a great leveller. This is the only way you can gain confidence and exposure. Also, they’ll make you realise whether you belong to this industry or not. In addition to this, keep improving your vocabulary and be on stage to learn how to connect with audience and keep it engaged and interested.
Typical day in the life of a Emcee
Pros & Cons about this career
Possibly late working hours