What is MDS?
Dentistry is a very demanding profession and but many aspirants are entering into this field. MDS course or Master in Dental Surgery is a postgraduate program in dentistry. A branch of medicine, dentistry deals with anatomy and diseases related to teeth. The duration of MDS program varies according to colleges and courses. Generally, the duration of this program is three years. There is a provision of two-year MDS course for candidates who have completed their postgraduate diploma in dentistry. Some colleges like Tamil Nadu-based Dr. M.G.R. Medical University facilitates completion of this course within six years.
The MDS course is governed by DCI, i.e. Dental Council of India, as the regulatory body for all dentist courses offered by various institutes in India. One can learn Roentgenographic Techniques, anaesthesia and applied surgery – amongst other skills – while pursuing this course. This course is very career oriented, as one can find several career options including a dentist, dental researcher and a teacher in the dental department of a hospital, dental clinic, research centre and educational institutes, etc. A career in dental surgery is a very well paying option for youth in India. After completion of this program successfully, a fresh graduate can avail an average salary of INR 25,000 to INR 1.5 lakh per month.
Availability of MDS program
Various colleges in India offer MDS course. These include private as well as Government colleges. Many colleges allow completing this course in various domains. Some of the most popular ones are as follows:
- Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Science (MAIDS), New Delhi, Delhi NCR
- Manipal College of Dental Sciences(MCODS), Mangalore, Karnataka
- SDM College of Dental Science and Hospital, Sattur, Karnataka
- Government Dental colleges and Hospital, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- King George’s Medical College, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
- A B Shetty Memorial Institute of Dental Sciences, (ABSMIDS) Mangalore, Karnataka
- Pt Bhagwat Dayal Sharma Postgraduate Institutes of Medical Sciences, (PGIMS), Rohtak, Haryana
- Dr. R Ahmed Dental Colleges and Hospital, Kolkata, West Bengal
- SRM Dental College, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Nair Hospital Dental College, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Post Graduate Institute of Medical Science, Rohtak
- Awadh Dental College and Hospital, Jamshedpur, Jharkhand
- Uttaranchal Dental and Medical Research Institute, Dehradun, Uttarakhand
- Kalinga Institute of Dental Sciences (KIDS), Bhubaneswar, Orissa
- Sri Guru Ram Das Institute of Dental Science and Research, Amritsar, Punjab
- Kalka Dental college, Meerut, Uttar Pradesh
- Mamata Dental College, Hyderabad, Telangana
- Dr. Ziauddin Ahmad Dental College, Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh
- Amrita Institute of Dentistry, Kochi, Kerala
- Inderprastha Dental College and Hospital, Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh
- Guru Nanak Institute of Dental Sciences and Research, Kolkata, West Bengal
- DAV Centenary Dental College, Yamuna Nagar, Haryana
- Hitkarini Dental College and Hospital, Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh
- Subhatri Dental College, Meerut, Uttar Pradesh
- N.I. College of Dental Science - [NICDS], Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
- Patna Dental College, Patna, Bihar
- Manav Rachna Dental College, Faridabad, Haryana
- Institute of Medical Science, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
- Buddha Institute of Dental Science, Patna, Bihar
- Dayanand College of Dental Science, Bangalore, Karnataka
- National Dental College and Hospital, Mohali, Punjab
- Bharati Vidyapeeth Dental Colleges and Hospital, Pune, Maharashtra
Skills Required to Pursue MDS Course
One who wants to pursue MDS course must possess following skills and interests.
- An interest in providing dental care to their patients
- Good communication skill in working with people of different areas
- Understanding of professionalism required to deal with patients, dentists and other colleagues
- Problem-solving attitude to fight against complicated problems
- Visual competency and to look into X-Ray report and patient’s teeth
- Desirous to dental health promotion through community involvement
- Distinct vision regarding colour, space and shape
- Good understanding of the equipment used in clinics
- Quality to supervise hygienists, assistants and receptionists
• Job prospects
After completion MDS in Orthodontics, one can pursue higher studies. One can also attain his position as a practitioner in private clinic or as a professor in reputed dental college.
MDS in Oral Surgery
MDS course with specialisation in Oral surgery is regarded as the top-most specialisation amongst dental aspirants. This three-year MDS in Oral Surgery program is concerned with the treatment, diagnosis and surgery for various oral and dental issues. This course also gives specialisation to operate mouth, gums, defects and other hard and soft tissues of the mouth.
• Job Prospects
There is a huge demand of graduate of MDS in Oral surgery in research institutes, universities, colleges, and teaching institutes. Trained postgraduates from this specialisation can open their own private dental clinic. Some of the other job opportunities for MDS in Oral Surgery are Consultant Medical Representative, Dental Surgeon, etc. It would not be an exaggeration to say that MDS in Oral Surgery can open many doors of employment in dentistry.
MDS in Oral Medicine and Radiology
MDS in Oral Medicine and Radiology is one of the favourite specialisations amongst dental students. This course deals with treatment, radiographic examination and diagnosis of diseases related to the oral cavity.
• Job Prospects
This course is much in demand internationally and can be very lucrative. After specialising in this course, one can avail opportunities in government as well as the private sector and educational institutes.
MDS in Conservative Dentistry and Endodontic
MDS course with a specialisation in Conservative Dentistry and Endodontic is a promising and prominent specialisation. It deals with preservation and restoration of the natural condition of teeth. This course is especially helpful to candidates who want to make a career in teaching, research and expert practice.
• Job Prospect
After completing this course successfully, candidates are eligible for various job opportunities that include a senior lecturer, medical coordinator, dental surgeon, etc. MDS in Conservative Dentistry and Endodontic may opt for higher studies like Ph.D.
MDS in Periodontics
MDS course with specialisation in Periodontics deals with the diseases related to supporting and investing structure of teeth. The treatment methods carried out by Periodontists are root planning and scaling.
• Jobs prospects
Graduates can avail jobs in private and government dental institutes, multi speciality clinics, defence services and health care centres of different companies.
MDS in Oral and Maxillofacial surgery
MDS course with specialisation in Oral and Maxillofacial surgery facilitates students to treat diseases related to face, jaws and soft tissues of the mouth. It is a popular course in several foreign countries, especially the UK.
• Job Prospects
This program prepares students to avail position as the practitioner and advisory consultants in private or public institutes. However, the majority of job opportunities for PG students with this specialisation are in Hospitals and Research Institutes. Surgeons can get the opportunity to be employed in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery department of reputed public and private institute.
MDS in Community Dentistry
MDS course with specialisation in Community Dentistry is related to prevention and control of dental diseases with the help of the organised community. This discipline is suitable for candidates who are capable of conducting oral health survey with the visions towards dental health promotion and solution. Candidates must have the multi-disciplinary approach to identifying oral health problems affecting the community.
• Job Prospects
MDS in Community Dentistry specialisation has great prospects in the government sector. After a certain stage, graduates from this specialisation can attain top position in government sector through involvement in the formulation of policies with the dental diseases.