Modelling can mean walking the runway for designers, doing TV and print ads, working for magazine photo shoots or a combination of all of these.
What do they do?
You have got the looks and the body, and want to flaunt it too? If yes, modelling can be your calling. Modelling can mean walking the ramp for fashion designers, acting in TV and doing print ads, working for magazine photo shoots or a combination of all of these. Usually, the taller you are, the better your chances of finding work as a runway model. Good skin and hair, sharp features and a toned body are musts for a model. Lots of stamina and confidence will be an added advantage. For a model, there is no one look that works always, so be ready to reinvent yourself. This career also has the potential to take you to Bollywood.
- Hassle-free attitude.
- You should be able to wear both a sari and a bikini with ease.
- A confident personality.
- Good public relations.
- Basic knowledge of make-up/camera/trends.
- Drive to stay super-fit.
- Good communication skills.
- It takes much more than a pretty face and a great figure to climb the ladder of success in this profession.
- Right attitude and the right mix of genetics and personality play a big role in your journey to the ramp or magazine cover.
- You should be a hard-worker, efficient with time management and passionate about modelling.
How do I get there?
Contact a good modelling agency or a fashion photographer to get your portfolio made. Good photographers can charge upwards of Rs. 20,000 or more for a professional portfolio. Once it’s done, send it to as many modelling and advertisement agencies as you can. Fashion week auditions and smaller ramp shows are the places where you might get a good break. So, keep an eye out for auditions. Also, with reality TV going big, you can try to get into shows like ‘get glamorous’ and ‘diva’ to get noticed.
Typical day in the life of a Model
Pros & Cons about this career
. You get to wear the best clothes and get paid to look good . You travel around the world and stay in the best hotels
. People might promise you a fat fee for a show and then back out of the deal . You have to fend off a lot of unwanted admirers . Very hectic schedules for days on end