Career as Psychologists

Early Salary

3 - 4 L

Mid Salary

6 - 7 L

Senior Salary

12 - 14 L

Academic Pressure


Job Pressure



Psychologists study mental processes and behaviour. Today’s competitive and high-stress life has created greater awareness of psychological problems and increased the need for qualified psychologists. 

What do they do?

Psychologists are professionals who provide counselling for a variety of problems and disorders, including schizophrenia, depression, relationship issues, exam-related anxiety and learning difficulties such as dyslexia. They can provide career guidance as well. Psychologists mainly work with hospitals, clinics, schools, colleges, universities, non-government organisations, defence establishments, and private companies. They can become consultants and practise independently, too. A counsellor in a school can also set up private practice at home if he or she has the time. Due to increased stress among employees in certain sectors, companies are known to empanel psychologists for confidential phone-in counselling services.

Skills Needed

  • A positive outlook
  • Excellent communication skills, especially listening skills
  • Strong interpersonal skills
  • Empathy
  • Open-mindedness and objectivity to deal with a client neutrally
  • Ability to win trust to establish rapport with the client
  • Sensitive and non-intrusive
  • A strong sense of ethics

How do I get there?

Though you may opt for any subject combination in Class 11 and Class 12 to be eligible for a bachelor's in psychology, it’s considered preferable to take science (physics, chemistry, biology) with psychology. (Some schools offer psychology in senior school.) After that, do your bachelor’s and master’s in psychology and/or a PG diploma in guidance and counselling. For better career prospects, you may do an MPhil and/or a PhD. Those wanting to work with disabled children require a licence from

Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI) or an equivalent qualification in special education. To work in hospitals, you need an MPhil/ PhD from national-level or international recognised institutes.

Related Colleges

Leave Your Comments Views or Questions here