More about Kannur University
Kannur University is a Private University which was established in the year 1996 with the passing of Act 22 by the Kerala Legislative Assembly. The University is considered as one of the priority Universities of Kerala, as it has managed to maintain the provision of education to each and every student. The University has been accredited by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) with Grade ‘B’. The University’s main motto is “From Darkness, Lead me to Light”. It envisages to the idea of leading the students as well the faculty to the range of Positivity. The University also focuses on Hard-work, Passion, Aspiration, and Innovation. It motivates the students to make efforts for being better individuals for themselves as well as for the society.
Kannur is a multi-campus University, which are located in the districts of: Kannur, Kasargod, Mananthavady, Payyannur, Thalassery, and Kanhangad. The main objective behind the establishment of this University was to ensure the state of Kerala with educated people. It aimed to provide higher education in the districts of Kannur and Kasargod in the initial stages. Kannur University is an affiliating institution which provides accreditation to various colleges in the districts of Kannur, Kasargod, and Wayanad.
Admission Process: There has been a Choice Based Credit System in the University, where through the online registration for the desired programmes, the students can apply for the colleges of their choice. There exists the process of Entrance tests for nearly all the courses, for example, B.A P.Ed (Bachelors of Physical Education), B.A Music, or any other Graduate or Postgraduate course. Any student who selects Kannur University for higher education has to compulsorily register online, irrespective of the category they belong to, before the closure of the registration process.
The admissions are only on the basis of merit. The marks attained in the secondary school or degree college will be considered as an important parameter for the whole admission process, and the University follows strict rules in the allotment of seats to the SC/ST/OBC or any other category, depending on the guidelines maintained by the admission department of the University. The maximum age limit for getting enrolled in the Undergraduate courses is 23 Years, while for the students of SC/ST/OBC students, it is 25 Years, and 28 Years for the Person with Disability, for the same.
Facilities:There are numerous facilities provided by the University which are extremely beneficial for the students,for example, well equipped laboratories for practical work, good classrooms, internet facilities, ground for sports activities, over-head projector in classrooms.
The University offers graduate and postgraduate courses, along with other certificate or diploma courses in the steams of Arts, Science, Commerce. The Academic Departments/Schools are:
- Department of Library and Information Science
- School of Information Science & Technology
- Department of Information Technology
- School of English & Foreign Languages
- Department of Studies in English School of Education
- Department of Education
- School of Social Sciences
- Department of Anthropology
- School of Science & Technology
- School of Life Sciences
- Department of Biotechnology & Microbiology
- Food Science School of Management Studies
- Department of Management Studies School of Development Studies
- Department of Applied Economics
- School of Business Administration(M.B.A)
- School of Legal Studies
- Department of Law
- School of Physical Education and Sports Sciences
- School of Chemical Sciences, Department of Chemistry
- School of Pure and Applied Physics, Department of Physics
- School of Visual and Fine Arts, Department of Music
- School of Pedagogical Sciences
- School of Indian Languages
- School of Geography & Environment
- School of Health Sciences